Wealth With Purpose

How God’s Stewards Get Ahead (Part 1)

As a Christian we are called to be Stewards of all that God has blessed us with; from our talents and skills through to the financial resources that he provides.

In this session, I want us to explore what Good Stewardship actually looks like. The starting point for good Stewardship is having the right mindset.

Stewards knows this truth:

“Everything they have belongs to God”

Ponder for a moment the implication of this statement. If everything we have belongs to God and we are his managers, what are the implications for how we spend God’s money? How does it influence the car you drive, the house you live in or the job you go to?

Taking this one step further, what return on investment are you achieving for God with the resources he has given you? I am not talking about a financial investment return, but rather the eternal return. This is the “kingdom impact” which you are making with all that God has supplied.

One of the best ways to stop worrying about money, is to acknowledge that the money is not yours. Why worry about money which is not yours? It makes no sense. Rather, stand in awe of the privilege that God has given us to steward his resources whilst we are here on earth.

We need to eliminate the mindset that says: ‘it is my money, I’ve worked hard for it’ and adopt the view that ‘God has blessed me with these resources and I want to use them to build his kingdom’.

When you think of money as your own, you worry that someone may take it away from you, or that you will run out. When you see God as the source of provision and that the money is his, you can be set free.

God Comes First

Stewards build God’s Kingdom rather than their own and live by this passage in Matthew:

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”
Matthew 6:33

I once read a quote from a Pastor who said: “If God is not first with our money, he is not first at all”. At first glance, this may seem harsh, but it is true. God doesn’t want to be second best in any part of our life. When we become Christian, we are asking him to become Lord of our life. Not some parts, but all of it.

Some Christians are scared by this notion: the idea that if they put God first in everything or if they get too close to him, he will ask them to do something they are unwilling to undertake. But, the opposite is the case.

As the above passage from Matthew highlights, when we put God first, ‘all these things will be given to you as well’. In other words, he will take care of us.

I have always found that the more you put God’s Kingdom first in your life, the more an adventure it becomes.

Honor God with your Wealth

In Proverbs we read:

“Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; 10 then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.”
Proverbs 3:9-10

The way we manage our wealth, and indeed the way we use our income, should reflect the desire to honour God.

Ponder that for a moment, does the way you manage money honour God?

Work Hard

The bible is littered with passages about working hard and the consequences of being lazy. Laziness leads to poverty and it dishonors God. Christians should be known in the workforce as most reliable and hard working. When we are employed, we’re working for God rather than man.

 “One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys.” Proverbs 18:9 (NIV)

Live beneath your Means

“You have planted much, but harvested little. You eat, but never have enough. You drink, but never have your fill. You put on clothes, but are not warm. You earn wages, only to put them in a purse with holes in it.”
Haggai 1:6

Do you ever feel like that; your purse or pockets have holes in them? Do you know where your money is going?

In western society today, the level of debt is at unprecedented levels primarily because people don’t want to live beneath their means.

They want a new car and buy it on credit. They need a holiday so they charge it to the credit card. Never before have we as a society lived so far beyond our means.

The solution is simple: Do a budget and live beneath your means, i.e. live on 80% of your disposable income. The other 20% goes towards “giving to God” and to “saving for the long-term”.

Enjoyed this article? For more like it, sign up to receive our newsletter.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *